Lets be honest, we all love a good old shopping spree. But truth is, every single cent spent in an unwise manner is slowly but surely chipping away at your financial wellbeing. The festive season is the worst! We want to buy fancy gifts and splurge on that ridiculously expensive lipgloss recommended by every blogger on Instagram (#guilty). BUT…I need to take a breath every once in a while and take stock of my spending. Do I need it? Or do I want it? I’d like to share a few money saving tips with you that I feel could help in terms of cutting back and becoming more frugal.
- Pack in your own lunch to the office: Stock up on wholegrain bread, wraps and get creative with fillings. Or if you’re on a low carb vibe, do a yummy salad. Snacks like raw almonds and dark chocolate are great for keeping those cravings at bay.
- Cut back on takeaway coffees: Instant coffee doesn’t rock my world, but seriously…forking out almost R30 a pop for your caffeine fix is a little excessive.
- Don’t be brand loyal: Shop around, and you may find a similar product with similar quality, at a fraction of the cost.
- Don’t buy something just because it’s on sale: Again…do you NEED it, or want it?
- Create a minimal wardrobe: Take some time to unpack all of your clothing items. If you haven’t worn it within the last year, chances are you could probably donate it to someone else. Don’t hoard!
- Buy quality items of clothing: I’ve realized that a quality pair of pants or shoes, will last a lot longer than the cheaper alternative. So in effect, you are actually spending more money replacing the items that have shrunk in the wash or broken over time. Pick key pieces, and make the investment. This ties in with a minimal wardrobe.
- Paint your own nails: Gellish manis are a treat for me. Every other time I’m whipping out my home nail kit.
- Plan your weekly meals: Stock up your freezer and plan around it. Buying only fresh veg and salad as you go. I also find this cuts out on unnecessary and unhealthy takeout.
- DIY gifts: If you’re good at sewing, baking or homemade aromatherapy salt scrubs – use your talent and wrap it up pretty.
- Buy in bulk whenever it makes sense: Toiletries, detergents, dry ingredients. Shop around throughout the year.
I hope these tips have given you some inspiration! Please share your thoughts in the comment section below.