This is such a quick meal to prepare during the week. Literally a one pot wonder – and the mince cooks in no time. Also, if you are feeding a family on a budget, it really goes a long way.
- 1kg of lean beef mince
- 3 onions finely chopped
- 8 large potatoes, cut into cubes
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 6-8 cloves of fresh garlic, and one big piece fresh ginger all peeled and grated
- 2 small green chillies, chopped
- Bunch of fresh coriander roughly chopped
- 3 heaped tablespoons of roasted masala (I use the Packo brand)
- 2 teaspoons of turmeric powder
- 2 teaspoons of paprika
- 2 teaspoons of salt
- 3 cardamom pods
- Stick cinnamon
- 1 cup of frozen peas
- Tablespoon of tomato paste
In a large pot, heat the oil and add the minced meat and chopped onions. Braise until meat and onions are caramelized or golden brown.
Next, add the grated garlic, ginger and salt. Stir. Add a cup of hot water and simmer on medium heat until all water is dissolved.
Now add all your spices and tomato paste, and let it lightly braise with the meat for a minute or so.
Add a cup of hot water and cook on medium heat for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally and adding a bit of water when needed.
Now add the cubed potatoes and 2 cups of water. Cook on medium heat until potatoes are almost soft, then at this stage add the peas. Just before serving add the chopped coriander. Serve with basmati rice or roti (I buy the packs of ready made ‘Parathas’ from Spar. They are small frozen rotis ready for frying – not oily and very soft!).